Monday, November 11, 2013

Thoughts on Revelation 2: Ancient churches, modern issues

In these chapters of Revelation where there are mini-letters to the churches, I will treat each separately.  There are many ways to look at these messages to churches.  I'm going to try something that I haven't seen before (although I have no doubt that it's been done).  I'm going to compare the church in the letter to a type of church I see today and see if we can pull out some applications. Note that I am not claiming that the actual recipients of these letters are modern churches.
___________________________________________________
Ephesus
The church in Ephesus reminds me of a lot of "theological churches" I see today.  These are churches that are so focused on correct theology that they tend to forget other (and frequently more important) aspects of the faith.  One church in particular I think of started essentially as a mission for unwed mothers.  They provided a place to live, shared the Gospel in both words and deeds, and provided other much-needed support for these women.  Fast forward 20 years and the church is best known for its strident theological  adherence.  You can attend this church and get a seminary-level education on the Bible.  That is not a bad thing.  The teaching there is phenomenal.  I also don't need to worry about them being corrupted by false teachers.  But, they have abandoned their love and service to the poor and those in need.  I can see a similar letter being written to them.

Smyrna
The church in Smyrna reminds me of the situation faced by modern Christians in many parts of the world.  Persecuted with the expectation of suffering.  I have been privileged to not experience real persecution.  Sure, I have been ridiculed for my faith, but that is not real persecution.  I have it lucky. 

I find in interesting that God's only expectation for this church is that they endure.  They aren't commanded to do any more than that.  It is a reminder that God will not expect more of us than we can handle.  It is also a reminder that more is expected of us who do not go through this type of suffering.  Finally, it's a reminder to me that I need to do a better job of praying and using my influence to help the persecuted church.

Pergamum
The church in Pergamum reminds me of some churches in certain cities.  They are trying to remain faithful in the midst of rampant and open sin.  In the fight to stay strong and relevant, they sacrifice some of their integrity.  They tolerate very sketchy teachings that sound good and attract people to the church, but that do not fit with the Gospel of grace.  Lots of open sin is also tolerated, or, to put it more properly, ignored.  Such things, I believe, actually weaken the power of the church.  It becomes more of a social club than a beacon of light in a very dark world.

Thyatira
The church in Thyatira reminds me of some "social gospel" churches.  These are churches that focus almost exclusively on doing good works.  As long as the church is doing good in the community, then anything else goes.  "False teaching? Fine.  Sexual immorality?  God loves us anyway.  And, after all, we are doing God's work in the world.  Why would He care about anything else?"  But in most of these churches there are individuals who seek to have a proper personal relationship with God.  They appreciate (rightly) the good works of the church, and try to ignore the other problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment