Sunday, September 1, 2013

Thoughts on Hebrews 8: Christ is the superior mediator

Christ is the superior mediator (compared with earthly priests) because he has immediate access to God. The sacrificial system was a mere shadow of the reality of Christ's mediation.

I confess that this isn't something I've thought much about.  This is probably due to my privileged status of being able to just assume this is always the case, and therefore something I take for granted.  But, this really is a very big deal.

Think about it this way.  We are stained with sin, so we cannot enter the very presence of a holy God.  God could not bare it.  There was an impenetrable barrier between us and God.  Christ broke down the barrier, stands in the very presence of God himself, and intercedes on our behalf.  That's a big deal and something I should take more seriously.

I'll discuss more on the new covenant discussion that shows up at the end of chapter 8 while discussing other chapters.

No comments:

Post a Comment