Sunday, October 13, 2013

Thoughts on I Timothy 3: Choosing Elders and Deacons

I have never been an elder or a deacon myself.  I have been influential in choosing both positions at two different churches, though.  I can also tell you that I have high standards for both positions and certain individuals did not receive appointments because of walking through this chapter with church leadership.

It is good to be both an elder and a deacon.  Having said that, though, I am very cautious about those who think they are ready for the job--who strongly believe they are qualified.  That indicates an arrogance that I think might indicate a lack of qualification. 

In my opinion, most churches need to be more careful in their selection of deacons and elders.  I've seen too many problems pop up from the choice of a "big name" who then become arrogant and leads the church in an unhealthy direction.  I think part of the lack of cautiousness largely comes from two problems:
  1. The church is thinking too much like the world in the selection of leaders.  A good business or political leader, for example, does not necessarily make a good church leader.
  2. Many churches have church constitutions or charters which mandate the number of elders and deacons that are to serve there.  But what happens when there are too few truly qualified candidates in a church?

No comments:

Post a Comment