Sunday, October 20, 2013

Thoughts on II Timothy 2: Don't wrangle over words

As I was struggling through a complex theological issue (eternal security) back when I was in high school, I cam across this passage, which has been deeply influential in the tone of my theological conversations ever since.

In vv. 11-13 Paul quotes what looks to be a poem to discuss the eternal security of the believer.  Honestly, the verses can be easily interpreted in either direction.  But what struck me was the verses immediately following this.  Timothy is instructed to remind the people of these things (the deep theological message) and to not wrangle over words as such wrangling can lead to ruin.

Here's what I take from that.  It's appropriate to discuss complex theological issues.  At times it is beneficial.  However, when it turns into wrangling over words rather than trying to understand God's nature and our relationship with Him, it has negative consequences. 

Too often I see theological discussions turn into "us vs. them" fights.  If you don't agree with my interpretation, then you are a heretic. Too often the "theology police" are too quick to find people guilty without giving them a fair hearing. This leads to unnecessary dissension within the Body of Christ. (Note: I am not saying all interpretations are equal or that there aren't heresies.  Rather, we should discern the difference between false doctrine and complex issues that are open to interpretation.) 

Paul was obviously very concerned with false teaching.  He instructs Timothy several times to stand up against it.  But there is a difference between false teaching and presenting differing views on complex theological questions.  We need to use discernment to figure out where that dividing line is.  To be honest, this is something I still struggle with, 20 some years later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment