Monday, December 23, 2013

Thoughts on Mark 12: Trying to trap Jesus

Every time I read Mark 12, I can't help but being a bit amused.  Yep, I get to see the guy I follow outsmarting all the scholars and thinkers of his day.  I love it when I get to see stuff like that.  Of course, I'm also a nerd with a degree in philosophy, so I tend to geek out on things like that.

But when I think only along those lines, I miss out on some important points.  As a thinker, I am too often guilty of trying to trap Jesus in my own sophistry.  As a teenager, I tried to convince myself that I was too intelligent to be a Christian (which probably had something to do with the fact that I didn't have any intelligent Christian role models).  As an adult I tried to justify actions (even those not necessarily wrong) through complex logical models rather than simply putting my focus on God's will. 

How God deals with me when I act like this is very interesting.  Sometimes I am able to reason my way to truth.  More often, though, God makes himself real to me in a way that I can no longer deny Him and His will.  But I wonder that if Jesus was with me in physical form, if he would just make me look like an idiot like he made the thinkers of his day.  I would certainly deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment