Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Thoughts on Mark 13: Stay alert for the unpleasant

During my rather pathetic walk through Revelation, I repeated frequently that I tried to avoid eschatology because I really don't know what I'm talking about.  Well, here, in the middle of arguably the most pragmatic of the gospels, is a chapter full of eschatology.  I still don't know what to make of it. 

Here is sort of a theme I get.  Whatever it was Jesus was talking about, it won't be pleasant. Jesus calls his listeners to remain alert for these unpleasant times.  This, I think, is good advice for all times.  We shouldn't let unpleasant times turn us away from the faith.  Questioning God is perfectly understandable, but just because hard times come, we shouldn't interpret it as God turning His back on us.  After all, he warned us that it was coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment