Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Thoughts on II Peter 1: Make your election sure

First of all, let me emphasize that this post will not take a position on whether a Christian can lose her/his salvation.  I do have thoughts on the matter, but I don't know that my thoughts would promote a useful discussion.  Additionally, they are so nuanced (or complicated), I'm not sure I could adequately explain them in a brief time.

What I do want to focus on is the idea the true Christianity cannot be about "easy believism".  It cannot be an issue of praying a prayer and being done for the rest of your life.  In my youth I used to present that position in my ministry to children.  Then I started actually studying the Bible and realized that it couldn't be the case.

Christianity is more than a one-time decision.  It is a continual decision that guides ones life. 

Please don't confuse this with salvation by works.  Rather, salvation is going to transform us in such a way that we become conscious of living for God.  If we do not have that conscientiousness, then that is perhaps the time to seek to make our calling and election sure.  We should examine ourselves.  The good news is that if we are worried about these issues, then we are probably fine, or at least on the path to being fine.

How does one travel on this path?  Although I can't give a guideline for every individual circumstance, Peter does highlight a general route for us.  Start with faith, without which you won't have salvation.  Add to that "excellence".  (I don't have my Greek handy, but I think the Greek word here is dikaiosune, which roughly means "flourishing".  In Greek and Hebrew thought, this probably means living a life of moral virtue, as is commonly found in the philosophers at the time.) After excellence, you go to knowledge--knowledge of God and His word.  This chain continues, ending in versions of love.  I need to make my wife lunch now, so I have to go, but I encourage you to think through vv 5-7 yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment