Friday, November 8, 2013

Thoughts on II Peter 3: Patience and holding firm

II Peter is not the easiest book for me to read.  There's a lot I just don't get.  I find it ironic that Peter sort of apologizes for how confusing Paul is, but he writes this masterpiece...

One of the lessons I do get from this chapter is that we should be patient because we don't always understand God's timing or His ways.  Given our misunderstandings, we must be patient and careful.  It is easy to be misled, especially if we assume we know the mind of God and are disappointed when we realize we were wrong.  This is one of many reasons I am skeptical of most eschatological views.  If you expect Christ to return at a certain date, and He doesn't, we are likely to be disillusioned or to fall for something even more sketchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment