Thursday, November 7, 2013

Thoughts on II Peter 2: Things I don't understand

I'm going to be honest.  The second chapter of II Peter contains a lot that I don't understand, either intellectually or in my gut.

Intellectually, for example, I don't understand the nature of the false teachers that Peter rails against.  I don't understand the slanderous judgement.  What is "the way of righteousness" that these teachers knew and abandoned?

My gut doesn't understand how Lot, who gave up his daughters to be raped, could be considered a "righteous man". 

With all I don't understand from this chapter, what do I get?  False teachers are very bad and we should take this problem far more seriously than we do.  In the name of Christian unity we tolerate far more than we should.  Peter would say that tolerating such false teachers is not a matter of Christian unity because these teachers are not Christians.

No comments:

Post a Comment